mercredi 11 avril 2012

Interview with Etsy seller Kayla Cameroon - KK13



                                                        click here for more details 

Tell us a little bit about yourself.



I'm a teenage girl living with my family of 8 in the southwest. I have 5 siblings, all younger than me. I am a country girl and I love all things outside. We are planning on moving to a farm later this year, and I'm really excited about that. I am still in school, but I hope to graduate by the end of this year. 

When did you start crocheting?

Well, I learned to knit when I was about 7, but I didn't really like it. My grandma took me to a class to learn to crochet when I was about 9 or 10, and I fell instantly in love. I couldn't stop. I take my most recent project with me wherever I go. I take it to the stadium to watch a football game, to church, wherever I go, I take it with me. I don't know what my life would be without crochet.



Tell us why you started your shop



Well, my grandma lives in a mobile home park, and she came to me in December of 2010 asking me to make some lap blankets for her to donate to the people in the park who couldn't provide for themselves. I made probably about 25 of them, and gave them to her. Then I started thinking... "Hey, I bet you I could sell these online!" I started out making a light pink blanket and posting it on Ebay... with no luck. I barely even had any views. Then I heard about Etsy. The listing views were way cheaper than Ebay, plus I figured that since it was a mostly handmade site, that maybe it would help with my views. I started out on Etsy marketing my blankets as lap blankets, but that didn't work out, so I started marketing them as baby blankets instead. I opened my shop in February of last year, and had my first sale within a few days! Ever since then it has just taken off, and I couldn't be more grateful.

What do you do with the proceeds from your shop?

Well, mostly I put the money back into my business, buying yarn, hooks, etc. But I'm also saving up to go to Alaska this fall and see a friend that I haven't seen for about 2 years.



What are you currently working on?




Hm.... Would you like me to list it in alphabetical order? :D I always have a lot of projects going on. But to name a few, I'm working on a ripple blanket, a few of my regular blankets, (the ones that are very dominant in my shop) and some baby blankets for some friend's mothers who are expecting. 



Other than crocheting, what do you like to do?




Well, number one is sing. I LOVE to sing. I've performed a few times with a friend of mine, and right now I'm getting ready for a recital in May. I also love to play violin, piano, cook, bake, and pretty much do anything music related. 
 

Click here to discover Kayla's Etsy  shop.

Aucun commentaire: